In honor of Black History month, Boston Public Library publishes an annual “Black Is” book list, an aggregation of recent works by and about African Americans for adult readers. BPL staff have undertaken the difficult task of narrowing down the list of titles to bring readers their top ten favorite books for the 2016 “Black Is” list.
1) God Help the Child by Toni Morrison
2) Loving Day: A Novel by Mat Johnson
3) A Moment of Silence: Midnight III by Sister Souljah
4) The Turner House by Angela Flournoy
5) Alex Haley and the Books That Changed a Nation by Robert J. Norrell
6) Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
7) Delta Jewels: In Search of My Grandmother’s Wisdom by Alysia Burton Steele
8) If Someone Says, “You Complete Me,” Run! by Whoopi Goldberg
9) Soul Food Love: Healthy Recipes Inspired by One Hundred Years of Cooking in a Black Family by Alice Randall and Caroline Randall Williams
10) Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes
To view the full “Black Is” book list, download a PDF from Boston Public Library’s website, or pick up a copy at any BPL location.